The thoughts in your head are just what I put down on paper.

Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Hub: My Roommate's Computer


Since most blogs might be constructed from my roommate's computer, I thought it would be only appropriate to name the very first blog in honor of him--Herbie.

That's right. I have named my roommate's computer without her knowledge. She will probably object, but I care very little. Herbie and I have been spending almost every day together for the past two weeks while I look for a job. I can open multiple tabs on him, and he rarely minds. He is a Mac, and a handsome one. My own Sony Vaio is jealous, but she understands. She is about six years old and just doesn't move as fast. She's a dinosaur--heavy, and if she landed on your foot, you would cry. Still, she holds ALL of my i-pod music. Every single last song. Not that that matters; my i-pod has been broken for about two months and counting. It currently sits in a bag of rice on the kitchen table next to a Hard Rock Cafe beer mug full of matchbooks.

That part is actually a lie (the Hard Rock Cafe mug being full). Hard Rock is actually only half full of matches. I recently assigned my roommate the task of filling it up to the top again, to which she has promised a speedy completion. It is her task--her duty--and she will do it with vigor, I'm sure. I'm doing my part. I brought home an Employees Only matchbook a few weeks ago and tucked it into the mug, hoping that every time I light a scented Glade candle with an Employees Only match, it will transport me back to my 28th birthday party and the surreal atmosphere of Employees Only: cocktails I can't afford, bartenders with crisp, white uniforms and Rhett Butler mustaches*, and a psychic near the curtained window (of course there's a psychic--gin + other ingredients + more gin served up = "let's go talk to the psychic").

I know what you're thinking. Shouldn't she have said "Clark Gable mustaches"? And the answer is, you are right in knowing that I am, indeed, talking about Clark's famous black mustache. And he did play the fictional Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind. But the feeling EO invokes is that kind--somewhat unbelievable--and so, I refer to Rhett's mustache and not Clark's. And frankly, I don't give a damn.

Hahaha. Now who didn't see that one coming?
Yours Truly,
Angie

*According to some dictionaries, the word "mustache" may also be spelled "moustache".

No comments:

Post a Comment